Fabricati-diem
-
26/09/13
⇒ Deshittification as a Service: Reclaiming Privacy and Performance with OpenBSD pf and Unbound
When you buy a modern Smart TV, you are buying a display subsidized by surveillance. Even at high price points, manufacturers make slim margins on physical hardware. To drive post-sale revenue, they track your viewing habits, log your interactions, and serve you targeted ads. Smart TVs, especially LG models running WebOS, have quietly morphed from simple screens into active network spyware appliances.
26/09/20
⇒ Deshittification Part 2: Bypassing the App Store Gatekeeper
In my previous post, Deshittification as a Service, I shared a blueprint for taking back control from modern Smart TVs. I placed an LG OLED running WebOS inside an isolated VLAN behind an OpenBSD gateway. My goal was simple. I wanted to block vendor telemetry, strip out ads, and force the TV to act like a plain display again.
⇒ Deshittification Part 3: The Cold-Boot Consent Trap in Three Acts
In my first write-up, Deshittification as a Service, I laid out a network blueprint using OpenBSD, pf and Unbound to isolate an LG Smart TV running WebOS inside a dedicated VLAN. In Part 2: Bypassing the App Store Gatekeeper, I documented how WebOS responds to telemetry blocking by locking users out of the LG Content Store with artificial error codes, effectively holding software management hostage.
26/10/04
⇒ Deshittification Part 4: The Factory Reset Consent Trap
In Part 1 of this series, I laid out the foundational OpenBSD and Unbound architecture used to reclaim network sovereignty from an LG Smart TV. In Part 2, we saw how the OS holds the App Store hostage. In Part 3, I documented a stateful TCP kill switch that actively terminates Netflix streams if telemetry is blocked.
-
B batlaizan@mastodon.underworld.fr shared this topic
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login